After British rule ended, West Bengal an east Indian state had seen a total number of eight Chief Ministers since 1947 till 2018. All Chief Ministers are from various political party including CPIM, Indian National Congress and TMCP. Prafulla Chandra Ghosh was the inaugural Chief Minister in this list. Some of these CM also served as governor of any Indian state.
In 1947 West Bengal state was formed by partitioning formerly Bangladesh into East Pakistan and West Bengal. During seventy years of existence West Bengal faced President’s Rule several times along with CM’s rule.
Like every Indian state the Chief Minister of West Bengal is elected by State Legislative Assembly Election for a term of five years according to Indian Constitution. The Chief Minister of West Bengal is the excecutive head of state of West Bengal. The present Chief Minister of West Bengal is Mamata Banerjee who is ruling the government of West Bengal since 2011 till now.
Let’s check out all past CMs of West Bengal
West Bengal past Chief Minister’s List 2018
1. Prafulla Chandra Ghosh: is the first Chief Minister of West Bengal who served in office for a term of 160 days. He took office on 15 August 1947 and left office on 22 January 1948. Prafulla Chandra Ghosh was elected and represented the political party of Indian National Congress. He again elected as CM of West Bengal in 1967 and served till February 1968. He was elected from Jhargram constituency.
2. Bidhan Chandra Roy: is the second Chief Minister of West Bengal who served a term of two years. Bidhan Chandra Roy was elected from Indian National Congress and took office on 23 January 1948 and left on 25 January 1950. He again elected as CM after winning 1952 assembly election and served twelve years.
3. Prafulla Chandra Sen: Prafulla Chandra Sen became third Chief Minister of West Bengal after winning 1962 State Assembly Election. He took office on 1 July 1962 and left on 28 February 1967. Prafulla Chandra Sen represented the political party of Indian National Congress.
4. Ajoy Kumar Mukherjee: Ajoy Kumar Mukherjee became fourth Chief Minister of West Bengal after winning 1967 State Assembly election. He represented the political party of Bangla Congress and served as CM from 1 March 1967 to 21 November 1967. Ajoy Kumar Mukherjee again elected as CM from Tamluk constituency in 1969 state legislative assembly election and served from 25 February 1969 to 30 July 1970. Third time he became CM after winning 1971 assembly election.
1st President’s Rule: First President’s rule imposted in West Bengal from 20 February 1968 to 25 February 1969.
2nd President’s Rule: The second President’s Rule imposed in West Bengal from 1970 to 1971.
5. Siddhartha Shankar Ray: Siddhartha Shankar Ray became fifth Chief Minister of West Bengal after winning 1972 assembly election. He was from Indian National Congress and elected from Malda constituency. Siddhartha Shankar Ray served as CM from 1972 to 1977.
3rd President’s Rule: State of West Bengal faced President’s Rule for third time for a duration of 51 days.
6. Jyoti Basu: Jyoti Basu became sixth Chief Minister of West Bengal for the first time after winnIng 1977 state assembly election. He is the longest serving Chief Minister of West Bengal and he elected as CM for five times. Jyoti Basu was great leader represented Marxist Communist Party of India(CPIM).
7. Buddhadeb Bhattacharya: Buddhadeb Bhattacharya became seventh CM of West Bengal after winning in 2001 state assembly election. He was elected CM two times consecutively.
8. Mamata Banerjee: Mamata Banerjee became the 8th and present Chief Minister of West Bengal after winning 2011 state assembly election. She is also the first lady Chief Minister of Bengal who was elected as CM two times in 2011 and 2016 consecutively. Mamata Banerjee represents the political party All India Trinamool Congress(AITC) and also she is the supremo of this party.