Governor of West Bengal is the constitutional head of the West Bengal Government. The governor of West Bengal is appointed by the President of India for a term of five years. Raj Bhavan, Kolkata is the official residence of the governor. From the time of British rule till 2018, West Bengal an east Indian state had seen twenty six governors or rajyapal. Some governors re-elected to his post for several times. The inaugural governor was Chakravarty Rajagopalachari who served office from 1947 to 1948. Presently the governor is Kesharinath Tripathi.
Let’s check out all the governors of West Bengal
West Bengal past Governor’s list
1. Chakravarthy Rajagopalachari: Chakravarthy Rajagopalachari who is an Indian politician, lawyer also known as Rajaji, is the first governor of West Bengal and last Governor-General of British India. Rajaji served as acting Governor of West Bengal from 15 August 1947 to 21 June 1948.
2. Kailash Nath Katju: is the second Governor of West Bengal who served office from 1948 to 1951. Kaliash Nath Katju also served as Governor of the state of Odisha and Chief Minister of the state of Madhya Pradesh. He was also served as Home Minister and Defence Minister of the Union government of India.
3. Harendra Kumer Mukherjee: Harendra Kumer Mukherjee is the third Governor of West Bengal served office from 1 November 1951 to 8 August 1956. He was the Vice-President during drafting of Constitution of India.
4. Phani Bhushan Chakravarti: Phani Bhushan Chakravarty is the fourth Governor of West Bengal served office from 8 August 1956 to 3 November 1956. He was also the first Bengali Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
5. Padmaja Naidu: Padmaja Naidu is the first lady Governor and fifth Governor of the state of West Bengal served office from 3 November 1956 to 1 June 1967.
6. Dharma Vira: Dharma Vira is the sixth Governor of the state of West Bengal served office from 1 June 1967 to 1 April 1969. He was also served as the Governor of the state of Punjab and Karnataka.
7. Deep Narayan Sinha: Deep Narayan Sinha is the seventh Acting Governor of the state of West Bengal served office from 1 April 1969 to 19 September 1969.
8. Shanti Swaroop Dhavan: Shanti Swaroop Dhavan is the eighth Governor of the state of West Bengal served office from 19 September 1969 to 21 August 1971. Dhavan also served as a judge of the Allahabad High Court from 1958 to 1967.
9. Anthony Lancelot Dias: Anthony Lancelot Dias is the ninth Governor of the state of West Bengal served from 21 August 1971 to 6 November 1979. He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1970.
10. Tribhuvana Narayana Singh: Tribhuvana Narayana Singh is the tenth Governor of West Bengal served from 6 November 1979 to 12 September 1981. Singh was also the 7th Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh from 1970 to 1971.
11. Bhairav Dutt Pandey: Bhairav Dutt Pandey is the 11th Governor of the state of West Bengal served from 12 September 1981 to 10 October 1983.
12. Anant Prasad Sharma:
13. Satish Chandra:
14. Uma Shankar Dikshit:
15. Sayed Nurul Hassan:
16. T.V. Rajeswar:
17. Sayed Nurul Hassan:
18. B. Satyanarayan Reddy:
19. K.V. Raghunatha Reddy:
20. Akhlaqur Rahman Kidwai:
21. Shyamal Kumar Sen:
22. Viren J. Shah:
23. Gopalkrishna Gandhi:
24. Devanand Konwar:
25. M. K. Narayanan:
26. D. Y. Patil: D. Y. Patil served as the acting Governor of West Bengal from 3 July to 17 July 2014. He was also served as Governor of state of Bihar from 2012 to 2014.
27. Keshari Nath Tripathi: Keshari Nath Tripathi is the 26th and present Governor of the state of West Bengal serving from 24 July 2014. Tripathi also served as Governor of Mizoram in 2015, earlier he was the Speaker of the Uttar Pradesh legislative assembly.