According to constitution of India, Prime Minister is the executive head of the Government of India. Narendra Modi is the current(15th) Prime Minister of India and he took office on 26 May 2014. List of famous Prime Minister of India deals about all the Prime Minister of India who served from India’s independence till now. You need to learn about the Prime Ministers of India because in every competitive exams such as SSC, UPSC, LIC, CGL, DEFENCE, BANKS, LIC, POSTAL DEPARTMENT, RAILWAY, a question related to Prime Minister is frequently asked. This list also helps you increase general knowledge and to take part in quiz contest.
India became independent on 15 August 1947, since Jawaharlal Nehru to Narendra Modi a total number of fifteen Prime Minister including a female Prime Minister served in India till 2018. Some of them were acted as Prime Minister and some were re-elected. Indira Gandhi became Prime Minister two times. Atal Bihari Vajpayee also became the PM two times. Totally India seen to serve as Prime Minister eighteen times.
By the way every Prime Minister of India is selected by Lok Sabha election conducted by the Election Commission of India. And Election Commission of India follow the rules of the Constitution of India.
To be a Prime Minister of India, a candidate needs some eligibility criteria which are following:
1. Minimum 25 year old
2. Citizen of India
3. Member of Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha
4. Not to be associated with any profitable organization of a state or central authority
The Prime Minister is the executive head of the Government of India. The Prime Minister is also the chief adviser to the President of India and head of the Council of Ministers. He is appointed by the President of India.
The Prime Minister or PM is the head of these following departments-
1. Ministry of Personnel, public grievances and pensions
2. Cabinet Secretariat
3. NITI Aayog
4. Department of Atomic Energy
5. Department of Space
6. Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
7. Nuclear Command Authority
Here we listing all the PM of India
List of Prime Minister of India Pdf
1. Jawaharlal Nehru(1889-1964): Jawaharlal Nehru is the first PM of India. He served office from a term since 15 August 1947 to 27 May 1964. He was appointed by the former President Rajendra Prasad. Nehru was a member of Indian National Congress political party. He was born on 14 November 1889 and died on 27 May 1964. He is popularly known as ‘Chacha’ Nehru. Nehru was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1955. Every year His birthday 14 November is celebrated as ‘Children’s Day’.
2. Gulzarilal Nanda(1898-1998): After death of Jawaharlal Nehru, Gulzarilal Nanda became an acting Prime Minister for a short term. He first acted as Prime Minister from 11 January 1966 to 24 January 1966. He was an Indian politician belongs to Indian National Congress party. Gulzarilal Nanda was born in 1898 at Sialkot, Punjab, British India. And died at the age of 99 in 1998.
3. Lal Bahadur Shastri(1904-1966): Lal Bahadur Shashtri the 3rd Prime Minister of India served since 9 June 1964 to 11 January 1966. He was appointed by former President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. Shastriji was born in Mughalsarai, Uttar Pradesh in 1904 and died in 1966 in Tashkent. He was a senior politician belonged to Indian National Congress political party. He was a Minister of Home Affairs and associated with Indian Independence Movement. Shastri led the country during Indo-Pakistan war of 1965. His slogan “Jay Jawan Jay Kisan” became very popular during war and is remembered even today. He also became Railway Minister of India Lal Bahadur Shastri was the first person who was posthumously awarded Bharat Ratna in 1966. Varanasi International Airport is named after him.
4. Gulzarilal Nanda: After death of PM Lal Bahadur Shastri, Gulzarilal Nanda became acting Prime Minister for second time. This time he acted as PM for thirteen days only. He served from 11 January 1966 to 24 January 1966.
5. Indira Gandhi(1917-1984): Indira Gandhi the 4th Prime Minister of India served office from 24 January 1966 to 24 March 1977. She was appointed by former President V.V.Giri. She was the first and to date, the only female Prime Minister of India. Indira Gandhi was a famous politician belonged to Indian National Congress political party. She was the daughter of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. She was killed by two of her bodyguards Satwant Singh and Beant Singh. Indira Gandhi led Operation Blue Star by Indian Army in 1984 on Golden Temple, Amritsar. She was awarded India’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1971.
6. Morarji Desai(1896-1995): Morarji Desai is the 5th Prime Minister of India served office from 24 March 1977 to 28 July 1979. He was born in Bhadeli, Bombay Presidency, British India in 1896 and died in 1995 in Mumbai, India. Desai was an Indian Independence Movement activist and famous politician of the Janata Dal political party. He was also the 2nd Deputy Prime Minister of India.
7. Charan Singh(1902-1987): Charan Singh was the sixth Prime Minister of India served office from 28 July 1979 to 14 January 1980. He was born in Noorpur, British India in 1902 and died in 1987 in New Delhi India. Charan Singh was associated with Janata Party, Indian National Congress, Bharatiya Kranti Dal like political parties. He became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1967 and later in 1970. Singh also served as Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of the Indian Government.
8. Indira Gandhi: Second time Indira Gandhi became Prime Minister of India and served office from 14 January 1980 to 31 October 1984.
9. Rajiv Gandhi(1944-1991): Rajiv Gandhi the seventh Prime Minister of India served office from 31 October 1984 to 2 December 1989. He was born in 1944 in Bombay Presidency, British India and died in 1991 in Tamilnadu, India. Rajiv Gandhi was a famous politician from Indian National Congress political party. He is the son of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. He was killed by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam(LTTE). India’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna was given to him in 1991.
10. Viswanath Pratap Singh(1931-2008): V.P. Singh the eighth Prime Minister of India served office from 2 December 1989 to 10 November 1990. He was born in 1931 in Allahabad, British India and died in 2008 in New Delhi, India. Singh was appointed by President R. Venkataraman. V. P. Singh was associated with Jan Morcha, Janata Dal and Indian National Congress like political parties.
11. Chandra Shekhar(1927-2007): Chandra Shekhar the ninth Prime Minister of India served office from 10 November 1990 to 21 June 1991. He was appointed by the President R. Venkataraman. Chandra Shekhar born in 1927 in Ibrahimpatti, Ballia, British India and died in 2007 in New Delhi, India. He was mainly associated with Samajwadi Janata Party.
12. P. V. Narasimha Rao(1921-2004): P. V. Narasimha Rao the tenth Prime Minister of India served office from 21 June 1991 to 16 May 1996. He was appointed by the President R. Venkataraman. He was born in 1921 in Vangara, British India and died in 2004 at the age of 83 in New Delhi, India. Rao was actively associated with Indian National Congress political party. Rao was popular for dismantling of the License Raj. Babri Mosque was destructed during Rao’s Ministership.
13. Atal Bihari Vajpayee(1924-): Atal Bihari Vajpayee the eleventh Prime Minister of India took office on 16 May 1996 to 1 June 1996. He was appointed by the President Shankar Dayal Sharma. Vajpayee born in 1924 in Gwalior, British India. He belongs to Bharatiya Janata Party. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was awarded Bharat Ratna in 2015 and and Padma Vibhushan in 1992. His birthday 25 December is celebrated as “Good Governance Day”.
14. H. D. Devegowda: H.D. Devegowda is the twelfth Prime Minister of India served office from 1 June 1996 to 21 April 1997. He was appointed by the President Shankar Dayal Sharma. Devegowda born on 18 May 1933 in Haradanahalli, British India. Janata Dal was his political party.
15. Inder Kumar Gujral(1919-2012): Inder Kumar Gujral is the thirteenth Prime Minister of India took office on 21 April 1997 and left on 19 March 1998. He was appointed by the President Shankar Dayal Sharma. He was born in 1919 in Jhelum, Punjab Province, British India and died in 2012 in Gurgaon, India. Inder Kumar Gujral was an Indian politician who belonged to Janata Dal political party.
16. Atal Bihari Vajpayee: Second time Atal Bihari Vajpayee became PM for a term of 6 years and 64 days. He sworn in as a PM on 19 March 1998 and served till 22 May 2004.
17. Manmohan Singh: Manmohan Singh is the fourteenth PM of India and served office from 22 May 2004 to 26 May 2014. He was born in Gah, Punjab Province, Pakistan. Singh was appointed by the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and Pratibha Patil.
18. Narendra Modi: Narendra Damodardas Modi is the fifteenth and current Prime of India. He was sworn in as PM on 26 May 2014 and still serving in office. He was appointed by the President Pranab Mukherjee.