Tamilnadu General Knowledge(GK) and Current Affairs 2017: 100 GK MCQ Objective Questions Answers, Tamilnadu Exams
Tamilnadu GK and current affairs 2017-2018:
Here you will learn top 100 objective gk and current affairs question answers on Tamilnadu, including Tamilnadu art & culture gk, politics of Tamilnadu gk, personalities of Tamilnadu gk, history of Tamilnadu gk, geography of Tamilnadu gk and Tamilnadu economy gk current affairs.
These gk and current affairs questions are very important for all competitive and job related govt and non govt exams such as TNPSC, Tamilnadu police, IBPS, and all upcoming exams of 2017-2018 in Tamilnadu.
Tamilnadu Quick Statistics
Population – 77881463
Literacy – 80.33%
HDI Rank – 3rd
Official Language – Tamil
Legislature – Unicameral
Capital – Chennai
Rank by Population – 6th
Districts – 32
Rank by Area – 11th
Chief Minister – Edappadi K. Palaniswami
important GK and
2017-2018 for all
Tamilnadu state board exam candidates can follow these question paper practice sets to obtain good marks
Tamil Personalities GK
1. Name of the most recent/latest Chief Minister of India who passed away on 5th December 2016?
Answer : J. Jayalalithaa of AIADMK
Q. On which day India’s first banking robot Lakshmi was launched in Chennai?
Answer : On 12 Novemver 2016 City Union Bank launches India’s first banking robot named Lakshmi in Chennai, Tamilnadu
2. Who is the first Chief Minister[CM] of Tamilnadu formerly known as Madras State?
Answer :: P.S. Kumaraswamy Raja
3. Who is the 2nd Chief Minister[CM] of Tamilnadu formerly Madras State?
Answer : C. Rajagopalachari
3. The first CM P.S. Kumaraswamy Raja of Tamilnadu formerly Madras State represents which political party?
Answer : Indian National Congress
4. When the formerly Madras State officially renamed as Tamilnadu?
Answer : On 14th January, 1969
5. Mention the one and only name who was the Chief Minister of both former Madras State and newly renamed Tamilnadu from 1967- 3rd February 1969?
Answer : C.N. Annadurai. He is the first CM of renamed Tamilnadu for 20 days only.
6. What is the full form of the political party AIADMK?
Answer : All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
7. When did Tamilnadu formed in as a partial state of India?
Answer : 26th January, 1950
8. Who is the current Chief Minister of Tamilnadu as of 2017?
Answer : Edappadi K. Palaniswami
9. Who is the first female CM of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Janaki Ramachandran
10. When President’s rule imposed for the first time in Tamilnadu and what was the duration?
Answer : 31st January, 1976. Duration of 516 days
11. Who is the current Governor of Tamilnadu state as of 2017?
Answer : Banwarilal Purohit
Geography of Tamilnadu GK
Which geographic location of Indian map is captured by Tamil nadu?
Answer : Tamil nadu is located on South in Map of India
12. What is the geographical area of Tamilnadu?
Answer : 1,30,058 Square Kilometer
13. What does Tamilnadu rank in terms of area in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu is the 11th largest state in India in terms of area
14. What are the official languages of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Tamil and English
15. What is the total population of Tamilnadu as of 2017?
Answer : 77,881,463
16. What is Tamilnadu’s rank by population in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu is the 7th most populous state in India (According to census 2011)
17. Which water body lies to the southeast direction of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Palk Strait and Gulf of Mannar
18. Indian Ocean lies on which direction of Tamilnadu?
Answer : South
19. Bay of Bengal lies on which direction of Tamilnadu?
Answer : East direction
20. Which state of India has a second longest coastline?
Answer : Tamilnadu has a coastline of about 1076 Kilometer
21. Tamil nadu mostly influenced by which climatic nature?
Answer : Monsoon Rains
22. How many Indian states shares geographical border with Tamilnadu?
Answer : Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh
23. Who is known as the ‘Father of Tamil Literature’?
Answer : Agastya
* Who is the author of Nandan Charitam?
Answer : Gopalakrishna Bharathi
* Who is the writer of ‘Panchali Sapatham’,’Kannan Pattu’ and ‘Kuyil Pattu’?
Answer : Subramanya Bharathi
24. Mention three influencial dynasties of ancient South Indian history?
Answer : Chola, Chera and Pandya
25. From the document ‘Periplus of the Erythraean Sea’ which information can be found?
Answer : About Tamil land and its ports
26. In Sangam Literature what type of information can be found?
Answer : History of the ancient people and rulers of Tamilnadu
Q.Who is the writer of Tiruvarutpa?
Answer : Ramalinga Adigal
27. Who was the first historical king of the Chola?
28. The capital of Chola dynasty was-
Answer : First capital was Uraiyur, then shifted to Puhar
Q. When the Anglo-Maratha Wars was happened?
Answer : 1772-1818
29. Who was the most influencial king of Chola dynasty?
Answer : Chola king the great Raj-Raj I
Q. When the Anglo-Mysore war was happened?
Answer : 1766-1799
30. Which king built the shore temple(Now UNESCO heritage site) in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Narasimhavarman II
31. What was the capital of Pallava?
Answer : Kanchipuram
32. What was the capital of Pandyan dynasty in the 13th century?
Answer : Madurai
Q. Mention the name of Tamil Novelist who wrote Parthivan Kanavu and Ponniyin Selvan?
Answer : Kalki Krishnamurthy
Q. Which was the first regular newspaper in Tamil language?
Answer : Swadesamitran in 1882
Q. Who is the author of Manimekalai?
Answer : Sattanar
33. Who built the Brihadeshvara Temple of Thanjavur?
Answer : Rajendra Chola
Q. Who is the author of First Tamil novel Prathapa Mudaliar Charithram?
Answer : Mayavaram Vedanayagam Pillai. It was published in 1879
Q. Who is the author of Padmavati Charitram?
Answer : A. Madhaviah
34. Meenakshi temple is an example of architecture of which dynasty?
Answer : Pandya
35. The Vellor Mutiny was a strong protest against british rule, the mutiny happened in –
Answer – 1806
36. What is the literacy rate in Tamilnadu as of 2017?
Answer : According to census 2011 the literacy rate in Tamilnadu is 80.33%
37. What is the male literacy rate in Tamilnadu as of 2016?
Answer : As census 2011 the male literacy rate in Tamilnadu is 86.77%
38. What is the female literacy rate in Tamilnadu as of 2016?
Answer : 73.44% As census 2011
39. How does Tamilnadu rank in terms of literacy rate in all over India?
Answer : Tamilnadu ranks 14th in terms of literacy rate in all over India
40. What is the sex ratio of total population in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Male:Female= 1000:996 It means there are 996 female in 1000 male
41. Which district in Tamilnadu has the highest literacy rate?
Answer : Kanyakumari district of Tamilnadu has the highest literacy rate of 92.10%
42. Which district has the lowest literacy rate in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Dharmapuri district has the lowest literacy rate of 64.70% in Tamilnadu
43. Which is the symbol of State Bird in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Emerald Dove
44. Which is the symbol of State Sport in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Kabaddi
45. Which symbolise the State Tree of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Palm Tree
46. Which symbolise the State Animal of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Nilgiri Tahr
47. Which symbolise the State Flower of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Gloriosa Lily
Economy of Tamilnadu GK
48. How does Tamilnadu economically rank in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu is the 2nd largest state economy in India
49. What was the growth rate of Gross State Domestic Product(GSDP) in Tamilnadu in year 2013-2014?
Answer : 7.29%
50. What was the NSDP(National State Domestic Product) per capita income in Tamilnadu for year 2013-2014?
Answer : 112664 Rs
51. What was the GSDP of Tamilnadu for the year 2014-2015?
Answer : $150 billion US dollar
52. What does Tamilnadu rank in production of rice in all over India?
Answer : Tamilnadu ranks 5th in production of rice in India
53. What are the main fruit crops in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Mango and Banana
54. Which state is the largest producer of turmeric in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu
55. Famous geneticist M.S. Swaminathan who is known as ‘Father of Indian Green Revolution’ belongs to which state?
Answer : Tamilnadu
56. What are the leading agricultural products of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Rice, Turmeric, Mango, Banana, Coffee, Tea, Sugarcane, Natural Rubber
57. Why Coimbatore is known as ‘Manchester of South India’?
Answer : For production of cotton and textile industries.
58. Which region is known as ‘Textile Valley of India‘?
Answer : The combined places of Tirupur, Palladam, Coimbatore, Erode is a region that called Textile Valley of India.
59. Why Chennai is known as ‘Detroit of India’?
Answer : For automobile industries
60. Which religion has the highest majority in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Hindu 87.58%
61. ‘Bharatnatyam’ one of the famous classical dance of India originates from –
Answer : Tamilnadu
62. Which is known to be the oldest Indian literature amongst all others?
Answer : Sangam literature
63. Which is the first Indian book published in Tamil language?
Answer : Thambiraan Vanakkam in 1578
64. Which is the largely celebrated festival in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Pongol, is a havest festival celebrated during 4 days
65. Who is the first Tamil musician to be awarded Bharatratna India’s highest civilian honour?
Answer : M.S. Subbulakshmi
66. Which is the first silent film in Tamil?
Answer : Keechaka Vadham released in 1916
67. Where is the largest tourism industry situated in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu is the largest tourism industrial state of annual growth of 16%. Tourism in Tamilnadu is promoted by Tamilnadu Tourism Development Corporation Govt of Tamilnadu
68. Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram is an architechture recognized as UNESCO World heritage site located in which district in Tamilnadu?
Answer : Kancheepuram
69. Which is the longest corridor of the world?
Answer : Rameswaram Temple Corridor
70. The 1st Indian Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand belongs to which state in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu
71. The M. A. Chidambaram International stadium in Chennai famous for which sport?
Answer : Cricket
72. Who is the first Indian to participate in Formula One racing?
Answer : Narain Karthikeyan of Tamilnadu
73. Who is the first Indian woman to play in Grandslam Tournament?
Answer : Nirupama Vaidyanathan of Tamilnadu
74. The ATP Chennai Open is associated with which sport?
Answer : Tennis
Q. What was the first talkie film in Tamil language?
Answer : Kalidas
75. Who was the Captain of Indian Hockey team when won gold medal in 1980 Moscow Olympics?
Answer : Vasudevan Baskaran of Tamilnadu
76. The Nilgiri Mountain Railway which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site lies in which state in India?
Answer : Tamilnadu
77. Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve is located in which region of India?
Answer : Southern Region, Tamilnadu
78. Mukurthi National Park is located in which part of India?
Answer : Chennai city, Tamilnadu
79. Mudumalai National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary is famous for which species?
Answer : Indian elephant, Bengal tiger, Indian leopard
Politics of Tamilnadu GK
80. How many Loksabha seats are allocated for the MPs(Member of Parliament) of Tamilnadu?
Answer : 39 Seats
81. How many Rajyasabha seats are allocated for the MPs of Tamilnadu?
Answer : 18 Seats
82. How many seats are there under Tamilnadu Legislative Assembly?
Answer : Total 235(234+1)of whom 234 are democratically elected and 1 is nominated from Anglo Indian Community
83. Who is the current speaker of Tamilnadu Legislative Assembly as of 2016-2017?
Answer : P. Dhanapal
84. Who is the leader of the opposition party in Tamil Legislative Assembly?
Answer : M. K. Stalin of DMK party since May 2016
85. Who is the Deputy Speaker in Tamil Legislative Assembly?
Answer : V. Jayaraman since 2016
86. When the Central Leather Research Institute set up in Chennai?
Answer : Year 1948
87. When the Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology set up in Chennai?
Answer : Year 1968
88. How many districts are there in Tamilnadu?
Answer : 32 districts
89. In which year the Madras High Court was established?
Answer : 1862
90. Who is the present Chief Justice of Madras High Court as of 2017?
Answer : Sanjay Kishan Kaul, since 2014
91. Tamil film industry is popularly known by which name?
Answer : Kollywood
92. The famous architecture of Meenakshi Amman Temple is located on which river bank?
Answer : Vaigai river
93. Vivekananda Rock is located on which district of Tamilnadu?
Answer : Kanyakumari
History of Tamilnadu GK
94. Which king established Thanjavur?
Answer : Vijayalaya Chola
95. Who was the Queen of Sivagangai?
Answer : Rani Velu Nachiyar
96. When the Polygar War fought between Polygars and British East India Company?
Answer : 1799-1802
97. When the Battle of Talikota fought?
Answer : 1565
Culture of Tamilnadu GK
98. Who wrote Silappathikaaram
Answer : Ilango Adigal
99. Who wrote Aathichoodi?
Answer : Avvaiyaar
100. Who wrote Ramavatharam?
Answer : Kamban