Constitution of India-Important GK Questions and Answers For Competitive Exam
Here you will find objective, informative, descriptive and suggestive top quiz general knowledge(gk) question answers about the whole Constitution of India. These questions are very important for all competitive exams.
Indian Constitution is a collection of vast database. So we have summarised the Cnstitution of India in important gk question answers edition. Constitution of India related best gk questions are frequently asked in UPSC, IAS, IPS, PSC, SSC, CAT, BANKING PO, IFS, MULTITASKING STAFF,TET, RAILWAYS, UDC, LDC and almost every state and central level exams in India.
Thats why today we have compiled all type of Indian constitution based vital gk quiz questions which are very helpful for exam candidates and non-exam sitting people.
These important GK question answers touch each & every single point of Indian Constitution, including- Preamble of Indian Constitution, indian constitutional history, drafting and constituent assembly of India, articles-parts-schedules-appendices of indian constitution, president’s rule, constitutional power, Indian political system, parliamentary system, legislature, judiciary, constitutional ammendment etc.
A Brief Introduction to Constitution of India –
Indian Constitution is the longest written constitution of any independent nation in the world. It has been affected by the principles of world’s major countries. The preamble of constitution declares India a sovereign, social, secular, democratic, republic. The two words ‘Socialist’ and ‘Secular’ were added later by 42nd ammendment(1976)of the constitution.
So let’s start the Constitution of India GK questions and answers:-
Important gk Quiz Question Answers of the Indian Constitution –
Indian Constitutional History and Power Quiz
1. Who is regarded as the chief architect of the Indian Constitution?
2. When the Constitution of India came into effect on?
Ans:- 26th Jan, 1950
3. 26th January was chosen as Republic day to commemorate –
Ans:- The Purna Swaraj Declaration in 1930
4. Which day is observed as Republic Day every year?
Ans:- 26th January
Q. How long earlier the World War II had ended before the Indian Constitution came into effect in 1950?
Answer : World War II had ended 5 years earlier in 1945
5. Who was the chairman of the Minorities Committee?
Ans:- Harendra Coomar Mukerjee
6. Who was elected the president of Constituent Assembly after Sacchidananda Sinha?
Ans:- Dr. Rajendra Prasad
7. What are the two major languages, the original constitution written in?
Ans:- The original constitution written in Hindi and English
8. Which most important feature made Indian Constitution unique to any constitution of the world?
Answer : Indian constitution is the only longest written constitution in the world ever
9. When Hindi became the Official Language of India?
Answer : The Indian Constitution declared Hindi as the official language in 1950
10. When English became the official language of India across Hindi?
Answer : According to Official Language Act 1963, English became official language of India in 1965 along with Hindi
11. What was the basic structure of the Indian constitution during the time of commencement?
Ans:- During the time of commencement there were 395 articles, 22 parts and 8 schedules. Present structure is 448 articles, 12 schedules, 5 appendices and 100 ammendments till 2015
12. Who is the constitutional head of the Indian union?
Answer : President of India
13. Constitutionally who is the second powerful person in India?
Answer : Vice-President
Q. One of the basic character of the Indian Constitution is –
Answer : Judicial Review
Q. What is the major basic feature of the Indian Constitution?
Answer : Fundamental rights
14. When the Sarkaria Commission was set up?
Answer : 1983
15. How the Sarkaria Commission is related to Indian Constitution?
Answer : Sarkaria Commission can supervise the required changes of the constitution and the balance of power between state and central governments. Ranjit Singh Sarkaria is the head of this commission
16. Directive principles of state policy in Indian Constitution has been adopted from which country?
Q. What is the objective of Directive Principles of State Policy of the constititution?
Answer : Directive Principles are the guideline to making laws by the government. In part IV of the Indian Constitution, these provisions can be enforced by the courts.
17. What is the constitutional name of India?
Answer : Republic of India
18. Which famous bengali artists have a great contribution in designing of Indian constitution?
Ans:- Nandalal Bose including Beohar Rammanohar Sinha
Constitutional facts : It is notable that Indian Constitution is influenced by the constitution of different nations. As India is large and densely populated country so it took too much time to finish the original constitution. An expenditure of Rs 1 Crore spent and almost 5 Years took on this project.
19. The fundamental rights feature borrowed from which nation?
Ans:- United States of America
Q. Who said this famous constitutional quote that “Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body politic gets sick, medicine must be administered.”
Answer : Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar
20. Liberty, Equality and Fraternity are borrowed features of which nationality?
Ans:- French Constitution
21. Distribution of power between Union and state govt policy borrowed from which nation?
22. The idea of ‘Single Citizenship’ taken from which country?
23. By which legislation India and Pakistan were divided as two independent nations?
Answer : Indian Independence Act 1947
24. Currently there are how many fundamental rights are recognized by the Indian constitution?
Answer : There are six fundamental rights- 1) Right to equality 2) Right to freedom 3) Right against exploitation 4) Right to freedom of religion 5) Cultural and educational rights 6) Right to constitutional remedies
25. Indian constitutional rights were inspired by which historical documents?
Answer : France’s Declaration of the Rights of Man and United States Bill of Rights
26. Why 26 November is observed as Indian Constitution Day or Samvidhan Divas?
Answer : Constitution Day which is also known as Samvidhan Divas is celebrated on 26 November each year to commemorate the adoption of Indian Constitution. On this day in 1949 the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India that came into effect on 26 January 1950. Government of India declared 26 November as Constitution Day on November 2015 on a occassion of B. R. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
27. Who is empowered by the Indian Constitution to appoint the Attorney General of India?
Answer : President of India
28. Who is the only person holding the right of appointment of Chief Justice of India?
Answer : President of India
29. By which procedure the President of India may be removed before the expiry of the term?
Answer : Impeachment
30. Who appoints the Chief Election Commissioner of India?
Answer : President of India
31. Who appoints Vice President of India?
Answer : The Electoral College of India
32. Who is the inaugural Prime Minister of India?
Answer : Jawaharlal Nehru(1947-1964)
33. Who is the first Deputy Prime Minister of India?
Answer : Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel(1947-1950)
34. Who is the first President of India?
Answer : Dr. Rajendra Prasad
Q. Who is the famous writer of ‘Introduction to the Constitution of India’?
Answer : Durga Das Basu
Q. Who said this famous quote that “Constitution is not a mere lawyers document, it is a vehicle of Life, and its spirit is always the spirit of Age.”?
Answer : Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar
35. Who was the British Prime Minister during India’s Independence?
Answer : Clement Atlee
36. What was the Mountbatten Plan?
Answer : The Mountbatten Plan was an agreement between Lord Mountbatten and Indian National Congress, Muslim League and Sikh community
37. Who was the Governor General during India’s Independence?
Answer : Lord Mountbatten
38. Who is empowered to appoint the Judges of Supreme Court?
Answer : President on advice of the Chief Justice
39. Who appoints the members of Council of Ministers?
Answer : President on advice of the Prime Minister
40. Who appoints the Comptroller and Auditor General(CAG)?
Answer : President appoints the Comptroller and Auditor General of India
41. Who appoints the Chairman and other members of the UPSC(Union Public Service Commission)?
Answer : President
42. Who can proclaim a Financial Emergency?
Answer : President can proclaim a financial emergency
43. How long the National Emergency can be imposed?
Answer : Six months. May be extended by six month on Parliamentary approval.
Preamble, Constituent Assembly, Drafting Quiz
44. When the Preamble of Constitution of India adopted by the constituent assembly?
Ans:- 26th Nov, 1949
45. How long it took to drafting the Constitution of India?
Ans:- 3 years
46. When the last session of constituent assembly was held?
Answer : 24 January 1950
47. Who was the legal advisor to the constitution’s Drafting Committee?
Answer : B. N. Rau
48. Under which commission the first constituent assembly election was held?
Answer : Cabinet Mission Plan 1946
49. How many members were there in Constituent Assembly?
Answer : 389
50. Constituent Assembly is based on which structure?
Answer : Unicameral
51. Who was the President of All India Muslim League?
Answer : Muhammad Ali Jinnah
52. How the members of Constituent Assembly were elected by?
Answer : By a single transferable votting system
53. Who was the first temporary ‘two day’ president of the Constituent Assembly?
Ans:- Sachchidananda Sinha
54. On 29th August 1947 how many members were appointed by drafting committee and who was the chairman?
Ans:- B.R.Ambedkar(chairman of Drafting Committee) and members assisted by a constitutional advisor. Members were – Pandit Govind Ballav Pant, Kanaiyalal Maneklal Munshi, Alladi Krishnaswamy Iyer, N.Gopalaswamy Ayenger, B.L.Mitter, Md. Saadullah and D.P. Khaitan
55. How many times and when the preamble has been amended so far?
Answer : So far the preamble has been amended only once. On 18 December 1976 during the time of Emergency in India in Prime Ministership of Indira Gandhi
56. What was the significance of August Offer?
Answer : On August 1940 a proposal offered by Viceroy Lord Linlithgow about the expansion of Executive Council, is called August Offer.
57. When the idea of Constituent Assembly was proposed?
Answer : In the year 1934 by M. N. Roy
58. Which was the major political party having maximum seats in Constituent Assembly?
Answer : Congress
59. What was the old name before India became Republic in 1950?
Answer : Dominion of India
60. Who was the President of Provincial Constitution Committee of Constituent Assembly?
Answer : Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
61. Who was the President of States Committee of Constituent Assembly?
Answer : Jawaharlal Nehru
Constitutional Ammendment, Articles, Parts,Schedules Quiz
62. Which part of constitution is related to statutory povisions for Panchayet Raj in villages?
Answer : Part 9
63. Which article is related to provisions for setting up Rent Controls Tribunals?
Answer : Article 323B
64. Which article is related to reservation of SC/ST Employees in promotion?
Answer : Article 16
Q. By which article, practice of untouchability has been declared a punishable offence by law?
Answer : Article 17
Q. Which article prohibits state from conferring any titles other than military or academic distinctions?
Answer : Article 18
Q. Which article ensures six freedoms as civil rights to Indian citizens?
Answer : Article 19 ensures six freedoms which include- Freedom of speech and expression, Freedom of association, Freedom of assembly without arms, Freedom of movement, Freedom to practise any profession and Freedom to reside in any part of the Indian union.
Q. Human trafficking and forced labour are the punishable offence by law under which article?
Answer : Article 23
Q. Which article prohibits employment of child labour under the age of 14?
Answer : Article 24
65. Which part of constitution contains the Directive Principles of State Policy?
Answer : Part IV
66. In the Indian Constitution article 45 deals with which issue?
Answer : Article 45 ensures Provision for free and compulsory education for children
67. In the Indian Constitution article 48-A deals with which issue?
Answer : Article 48-A ensures Protection and improvement of environment and safeguarding of forests and wildlife
68. The Fundamental Duties are inspired by which country?
Answer : USSR (Now Russia)
69. Which article states that constitution is the supreme law of the nation?
Answer : Article 13
70. Which articles of Indian constitution provides the fundamental right against exploitation?
Answer : Article 23 and 24 of Indian constitution
71. Attorney General of India is appointed by which article of Indian Constitution?
Answer : Article 76(1)
72. Who is empowered by Indian Constitution to employ a state Chief Minister?
Answer : Governor
73. By which article President can ask the Attorney General of India to attend Parliamentary sessions and to report him?
Answer : Article 88
74. By which article President can dismiss a state Governor?
Answer : Article 156
75. By which article of Indian Constitution President carry the power of pardoning?
Answer : Article 72
76. By which article Financial Emergency is proclaimed?
Answer : Article 360
77. By which article President of India can declare a National Emergency?
Answer : Article 352
78. Which Part of Constitution indicates the relation between States and Union territories of India?
Answer : Part I
79. The Election Commission of India operates under which article of Indian Constitution?
Answer : Article 324
80. By which ammendment “Socialist” and “Secular” two words have been included in Indian Constitution?
Ans:- 42nd Ammendment in 1976
81. By which article the Constituion of India can be ammended?
Ans:- Article 368, Part XX
82. What is the significance behind 61st amendment of article 326 in 1989?
Answer : Reducing the age limit for voting rights from 21 to 18
83. By which constitutional amendment Sikkim became a state of Indian Union in 1975?
Answer : 36th Amendment
84. What is the features of 15th amendment in 1963?
Answer : Raising retirement age of High Court judges from 60 to 62
85. By which constitutional amendment and when Nagaland was formed as a state of Indian Union?
Answer : 13th Amendment in 1963
86. By which constitutional amendment and when Right to Property was excluded from fundamental rights list?
Answer : 44th Amendment in 1978
87. By which constitutional amendment article 31-C inserted into the Directive Principles of State Policy?
Answer : 25th Amendment Act of 1971
88. By which amendment the Fundamental Duties of citizens were added to the Indian Constitution?
Answer : 42nd Amendment in 1976
89. Sindhi was included as an official language by amending which schedule in 1967?
Answer : 8th schedule
90. By which constitutional amendment Konkani, Manipuri and Nepali included as Official Languages?
Answer : Amending of schedule 8 by 71st amendment in 1992
91. Which article amendment is related to reservation for Scheduled Tribes in Tripura State Legislative Assembly?
Answer : Amendment of article 332 in 1992
92. Which part of constitution indicates the relation between the Union and States?
Ans:- Part XI
93. Which article indicates to protect, preserve and defend law and constitution by President?
Ans:- Article 60
94. Which article ensures the Prime Minister’s leadership in Union Cabinet of India?
Ans:- Article 74
95. Which article of Indian Constitution detaches Jammu & Kashmir state from India?
Ans:- Article 370
President’s Rule Quiz
96. When the President’s rule first imposed in West Bengal?
Answer : 1962
97. When the President’s rule first imposed in Uttarakhand?
Answer : 27 March, 2016
98. How the constitution empowers by the 68th amendment of article 356 in 1991?
Answer : Article 356 amended to permit President’s rule up to five years in the state of Punjab.
99. Which article of Indian constitution refers to composition of President’s rule?
Answer : Article 356
100. When the article 365 was used for the first time in India?
Answer : Year 1954
101. What is the first President’s rule imposed state in India?
Answer : Kerala, in 1959
102. How long the President’s rule can be continued as per constitution?
Answer : 3 Years on approval of Parliament in every 6 months.
103. When the President’s rule was imposed for the first time in Karnataka?
Answer : Year 1971
104. When the President’s rule first imposed in Uttar Pradesh?
Answer : 25 February, 1968
105. When the President’s rule first imposed in Tripura?
Answer : 1 November, 1971
106. When the President’s rule first imposed in Tamilnadu?
Answer : 31 January 1976
107. When the President’s rule first imposed in Sikkim?
Answer : 18 August 1978
108. When the President’s rule first imposed in Punjab?
Answer : 1951
109. When the President’s rule first imposed in Odisha?
Answer : 25 February 1961
Parliamentary System GK Quiz
110. Which one & only body has the right to amend the Constitution of India?
Answer : Parliament
111. According to article 110 of the Constitution a Money Bill must be originated first in which body of Parliament?
Answer : Lok Sabha
Q. What is the only constitutional body has the supreme power of making laws?
Answer : Parliament of India is the supreme legislative body where laws are made as per Indian Constitution
112. Within how many days Money Bill can be recommended by council of states?
Answer : 14 Days
113. There are how many type of sub-committees in Parliamentary committee?
Answer : Two- 1) Ad hoc Committee 2) Standing Committee
114. Who is the Chairman of the Union Cabinet?
Answer : Prime Minister is the chairman of Union Cabinet
115. Union Cabinet is collectively responsible to which house of Parliament?
Answer : Lok Sabha
116. Parliamentary form of govt policy has been taken from which country?
Ans:- British Constitution
117. Which body of Parliament can be dissolved by the President?
a) Lok Sabha
b) Rajya Sabha
118. How many members are appointed by the President to the Rajya Sabha?
Answer : 12 Members(Specially qualified in different field like art, science or literature)
119. Who elects the two nominees from Anglo-Indian Community in Lok Sabha?
Answer : Two by President
120. A bill passed in Parliament can’t become a law without permission of-
Answer : President
121. In Indian legislature how many seats there in Lok Sabha?
Answer : 545 Seats
122. In Parliamentary System how many seats are there in Rajya Sabha?
Answer : 245 Seats
123. How many sessions are conducted by Parliament each year?
Answer : Three sessions – a) Budget session b) Monsoon session c) Winter session
124. Who is the current Chairman of Rajya Sabha as of 2017?
Answer : Mohammad Hamid Ansari(vice-president)
125. Who is the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha as of 2017?
Answer : P. J. Kurien
126. Who is the current Speaker of the Lok Sabha as of 2017?
Answer : Sumitra Mahajan
127. Who is the current Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha as of 2017?
Answer : M. Thambidurai
128. Who is the leader of the lower house Lok Sabha?
Answer : Narendra Modi (Prime Minister)BJP
129. Who is the current leader of the upper house ‘Rajya Sabha’?
Answer : Arun Jaitley
130. How the Rajya Sabha MPs are elected by?
Answer : Rajya Sabha MPs(Member of Parliament) are elected by the members of All the State Legislative Assembly
131. How the Lok Sabha MPs are elected ?
Answer : The Lok Sabha MPs are directly elected by Indian public voting through Lok Sabha Election
132. Who designed the Parliament House(Sansad Bhavan) in New Delhi?
Answer : Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker
133. Who is the Head of two house of Parliament?
Answer : President
134. What is the age requirement to become a member of Lok Sabha?
Answer : 25 Years
Judiciary Gk Quiz
135. Who is the chief adviser to the President of India?
Answer : Prime Minister
136. Judicial review is the borrowed feature of which country?
Answer : United States of America
137. Judicial review is related to which article?
Answer : Article 13
138. What is the retirement age limit of a judge in Supreme Court?
Answer : 65 Years is the maximum age limit of retirement
139. Who is the current Chief Justice of India as of 2017?
Answer: Dipak Misra is the current Chief Justice of India?
140. When the Supreme Court of India came in to force?
Answer : The Supreme Court of India came into force on 28 January 1950
141. When the Indian High Courts Act was enacted?
Answer : In the year 1861 Indian High Courts Act was enacted to create High Courts
142. When the Federal Court of India replaced by Supreme Court of India?
Answer : Until the establishment of Supreme Court of India in 1950
143. Which judicial body worked under Government of India act?
Answer : Federal Court of India worked under Government of India Act 1935
144. Who is the current and 15th Attorney General of India?
Answer: K.K. Venugopal